Recent years brought an outburst of embedded electronics, many of them containing very powerful microprocessor designs that outperform the capabilities of desktop computers available ten years ago. Smartphones have been a widespread example, but there are hundreds of others. Computer vision, Automotive systems, UAV (drones), security cameras, and network security are only a few categories where embedded electronics are present.
The Embedded HPC is the response for growing appetite on computational power in embedded applications. These kind of applications require CPU and FPGA to be on the same board and ideally in the same chip. For this reason, Aldec’s TySOM boards were based on Xilinx Zynq family of MPSoC and chipsets that integrate ARM Programmable System and FPGA.
Embedded HPC Accelerators
- TySOM-3A-ZU19EG is a compact SoC prototyping board featuring Zynq® UltraScale+™ MPSoC device which provides 64-bit processor scalability while combining real-time control with soft and hard engines for SoC prototyping solution, IP verification, graphics, video, packet processing, and early software development. The main advantage of Xilinx Zynq Ultrascale+ ZU19EG-FFVB1517 MPSoC over other Zynq MPSoC devices is that it carries the largest FPGA in the Zynq® UltraScale+™ MPSoC family with over a million logic cells. It includes a quad-core ARM® Cortex-A53 platform running up to 1.5GHz. Combined with dual-core Cortex-R5 real-time processors, a Mali-400 MP2 graphics processing unit, and 16nm FinFET+ 1,143K logic cells in the programmable logic. This prototyping board contains 8GB DDR4 Memory for the Programmable Logic (PL) and also 8GB DDR4 SODIMM Memory for the Processing System (PS). This board includes 2 Gb NAND Memory and supports up to 32GB of SSD storage in Micro-SD card. It also features a 512Mb QSPI Flash Memory. Communication and networking is enabled by ×2 Gigabit Ethernet, Wi-Fi & Bluetooth, CAN, Pmod, 4× USB 3.0, USB to UART Bridge, USB 2.0 OTG, JTAG USB, SATA, QSFP+, and PCIe x1 GEN3/4 connectors. Multimedia interfaces are provided using DisplayPort, HDMI IN/OUT. To expand the peripherals, 2× FMC VITA 57.1-2010 compliant are provided on the board. Thus, additional devices can be connected as FMC Daughter Cards that are provided by Aldec.
- TySOM-3-ZU7 - accelerator board based on Zynq UltraScale+ ZU7EV containing FPGA with Quad-core ARM Cortex-A53 general purpose processor, ARM Cortex-R5 real time processor, ARM Mali-400 graphics processor and H.264/H.265 video codec. The embedded FPGA can be used to accelerate the most critical functions of embedded application or to implement external devices interfaces glue logic. Heterogeneous architecture of ZU7EV will be a powerful platform for various applications including neural networks, encryption or image and video processing.
- TySOM-2 - accelerator board based on Zynq-7000 XC7Z100 containing Dual core ARM Cortex-A9 general purpose processor in one chip with the largest FPGA in the Zynq-7000 family. Large number of DSP blocks (2020) makes it perfect for embedded vision applications.
PS ARM Subsystem Spec.
|CPU: Quad-core ARM Cortex-A53
Dual-core ARM Cortex-R5
ARM Mali™-400 MP2
|CPU: Cortex-A53 Quad Core
RT CPU: Cortex-R5 Dual Core
H.264/H.265 Integrated Codec
To facilitate designing embedded HPC applications Aldec provides TySOM System Platforms that can be loaded in Xilinx SDx tool. Then, in SDx C/C++ algorithm files are compiled and converted to RTL code appropriate for FPGA. Finally the RTL code is connected automatically to the selected system platform.
When all the compilation and implementation steps are done, running embedded application is as easy as uploading files generated from SDx to SD card and starting execution in TySOM board.
Reference Designs and Services
For a quick ramp up Aldec provides several reference designs demonstrating use of different peripherals and programmable logic (FPGA) to accelerate application algorithms and working implementation of embedded Linux. If you recognize benefits of FPGA powered embedded HPC but your organization lacks of hardware design “know how” Aldec’s custom engineering services can bridge this gap. Our long experience in FPGA hardware design and verification can be effectively used to quickly build a complete system or integrate your algorithms with reference designs that are available out of the box.
- Portfolio of TySOM boards matching various requirements
- Compatible with complementary FMC Daughter-cards
- Complete design and verification environment
- Closely integrated with Xilinx SDx and Vivado software
- High end and solid hardware from Aldec’s 30+ years experience
- Aldec TySOM board
- TySOM reference designs bundle
- Riviera-PRO HDL simulator (option)
- Technical documentation, tutorials and white papers
- SDx hardware platform package (Board Support Package - BSP)
- Custom engineering for RTL Porting Services
2260 Corporate Circle
Henderson, NV 89074 USA
Tel: +1 702 990 4400
Fax: +1 702 990 4414
©2022 Aldec, Inc.
Printed version of site: www.aldec.com/en/solutions/hpc/embedded_hpc